Thursday, August 16, 2012

Composting 101

Well, as I continue on with heavy juicing I am making a ton of compostable pulp bags.  I know that this is good gardening stuff since it is all green and organic and is ideal compost material, but I don't know the first thing about composting.  So since the extra fridge in our garage that has become a holding tank for my discards was packed to the gills I decided I needed to learn how.
2 bags of green waste from 2 large jars of yummy juice

bags & beer

I like the idea of home composting, but since I don't have a garden yet, I called the City of Plano Community Garden and had the pleasure of speaking to Erin Hoffer on the phone.  Not only did she enthusiastically agree to take my green waste, she also invited me down to the garden for a one-on-one composting lesson and made me her residential compost test subject!  Better yet, the garden is maybe a mile from my house....couldn't be more convenient!

I cleaned out the fridge, loaded a box with bags of pulp and rinds in my car and whizzed around the corner to the City's Environmental Education Center.  Erin was on hand to meet me and lead me around the corner to the actual garden.

Oh my wowzers!!!  This place is awesome!  There are numbered beds that are cared for by volunteer gardners year round.  Each gardner is allowed to keep half of their harvest and the other 50% is donated to local food pantries.  Such a great concept and the garden is absolutely charming to boot.  I can't wait to get involved!

Erin getting set up to show me how to make an outdoor bio-digester

The super-cute herb garden....yes, those ARE wine bottles turned upside down and filled with sand to make a border!!

Cute rain water receptacles painted by local Scout troops

Erin in the Children's bed....lots of volunteer melons
Erin was so gracious and took the time to walk me through the steps of getting started with composting.    She says her goal as Environmental Education Coordinator is a "bin in every back yard."  I found out lots of basics like, where to get cheap or free containers to get started, how to drill holes to attract worms, etc.  She was very thorough and answered all of my questions and you can tell she is really passionate about her job.  
My "leftovers"

going to get some "brown"....in this case soil

Cover your green with the brown....you should not be able to see what you ate (a bit of my green is poking thru on the right.)

Erin, passionate about composting


I recognize that pineapple stem!

Bah-bye cantelope

This particular bio-digester bin has a handle that locks the lid in place.....keeps out vermin
 Next, Erin and I headed back over to the Education Center where she showed me the Children's Learning Garden which was wonderful.  Such a great way to make the outdoors fun for kids....it is made to be climbed on, touched, felt, smelt....a totally tactile learning environment.  I am definitely going to rally for a field trip by Caroline's Girl Scout troop....this place has so much to offer and teach to everyone!

Children's Learning Center

Love the stump steps.....so does Brian

Children's activity area


Weaving Wall....love this idea!

An outdoor place for kids to MOVE

Another thing I enjoyed about my visit was the cute garden-inspired craft project ideas. 


Garden chimes made using pipes & joints and a the keys of an old toy xylophone on chain

And how about these awesome Adirondack chairs made out of repurposed wooden palettes and painted

Don't forget about the cool wine bottle bed border....so clever



So, without a doubt today was a productive, learning, inspiring day.  I am going back for a class next month where, hopefully, I will become even more comfortable with composting and begin doing it at home once we build our own garden.  In the meantime I will utilize this great facility Plano has to offer and do my part of giving back to the Earth.  

More information on composting can be found at: http://www.plano.gov/LiveGreenED/_Web%20Master/base.html

Come on....get your hands dirty!







No comments:

Post a Comment