Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sauna detox

Caroline had her first day of 5th grade yesterday.  We survived it and thrived.  She was ready and prepared for her second day and I was ready to unwind from the whirlwind of summer and decompress physically and mentally in a serene environment.  After I dropped her off in morning carpool, I met my friend Sarah and the two of us headed to Korea-town to King Spa & Sauna.

King Spa is truly an amazing venue.  For $25 you are provided entrance into the spa & sauna, given a locker for your shoes & another for your belongings, issued a "uniform" to wear in the co-ed saunas and have access to towel service & toiletries in the spa area (we were lucky and had Groupons that we purchased a few weeks backs for just $14 a piece--even better.)

There are about 11 different saunas that each have different temperature & humidity levels as well as structural properties that offer different benefits in each room.

Usually when I go get my sweat on I gravitate mostly towards the Fire Sudatorium which is incredibly hot.  When we went in at 10am today that particular room was close to 250 degrees F!  Needless to say, it is a great was to release toxins.  That room proved a little too hot for me and I spent a great deal of time in the Base Rock Room.  The base rock room has mineral slabs called Siraka which are from Japan and the infrared rays the slab blocks release when heated are thought to have incredible healing abilities.

King Spa is IMMACULATELY clean and the mostly Korean staff is so nice and very happy to answer questions regarding this type of spa which is very traditional in Asia.

All I know is that I feel better--cleaner, lighter, looser, purer after a few hours soaking up the heat and energy.  There are currently only 2 locations of King Spa in the U.S., Dallas & Chicago but I've heard of similar establishments around the country.  Do you have something similar where you live?


No comments:

Post a Comment